nice updated pic gallery, Toti. for this and the revised VCD which we viewed yesterday - (which many of you will receive sooner or later).. thanks for the nice, well thought-of, compilation and presentation.
Of course these would not be possible if not for Ryan (Rudy's "bunso ") who was the untiring, dedicated photographer during the entire affair at Daet, (on top of being Rudy's full-time driver..) Thanks, Ryan, Rudy..
lagot ka sa disclaimer mo, Toti,-- "yong mga pic na di nyo gusto, baka yon talaga ang kamukha nyo".. ha..ha..ha..! ang lupeet, toti ..
kung baga sa golf, it sounds like, .. if we play 86 we should be thankful sa tsamba.. if we play 96 or higher, don't complain, yun talaga and natural! ha..ha..ha..! grabe..di ba, Danny?
but seriously, the whole pic gallery makes me "revisit" that memorable affair. so i asked myself, for the record, what or which could be the highlights / sidelights of the occasion?
1) the welcome dinner. First encounter after 40 years ! the hiiiiis and the helllooos were full of "ohhs' and aaahs. "oyyyy, kumusta..??!!" .."ikaw ba yan??? "ako nga, eto!!" either "ibang-iba ka na..! or "di ka nagbago!!".. excitement was on the high..
2) the lunch at Louise's . first time to really sit down calmly, up-close and personal. talk of the "now", plan for the "future". food was simple, but good.
3) the mass. the solemnity, the great words of wisdom and reminders from Rev. Sanchez. indeed "miracles happen everyday".. and "the fact that we're gathered here after 40 years..'' "..we have a lot to thank for.."
4) the saturday night affair..the climax. The best! specially, the video presentation, the group singing and dancing to those wonderful music. mixture of joy and nostalgia in reliving the past, shedding a tear or two, holding hands, enjoying the company of each other once more !.
5) Sunday noon at Dorset's residence.. I did not have chance to atttend this, so I can't say first hand. but from what I heard, this was a helluva send-off lunch. the food, the dessert, the angko's - were just terrfic.! Didn't you notice there were no pictures taken?? Well, it was because everyone, (including Ryan apparently, he..he..) was busy with the jumbo shrimps, alimango's and the lechons. Even Rory completely ignored doctor's orders! While Pacquiao was busy battling Solis, everybody was busy devouring the Sugpo's!
1) teddy ong not only is still into music, despite being a dep ed coach. he actually formed the band which dra. yoly hired, and he's active with the group. most of all we should credit boboy for being our successful searcher / locator.
2) yes, joe chavez still croons. and this time with much feeling.. maybe the longings of the past, the hardhips of the present.. and the uncertainty of what's left of the future - altogether reflect the pains in his voice and stares in his eyes as he belts out that masterpiece.
3) estring asis still has that permanent quiet smile, and pensive aura.. (like a sister logical !).
4) efren mago works as municipal agriculturist and has been into farming over these years, but still can cope up with susan king's recital of the kilometric definitions of "history" and "state" - idnani versions. how're those again, susan ? hope you took note what the new word "triumpho" means..and the "causal relationships, if any.."
5) tess cereno was a revelation. nice and funny speech, tess, which bewildered many, and kept the others giggling..
6) fechie's speech was reassuring. made us feel good that our classmates/ friends in far away America/ Canada fondly remembers, and are one with us in heart and spirit. it was also a joy to hear her "American twang" - as sweet and inspiring as Hershey's chocolates-with-almonds after a meal.
(hi fech, hope you had a nice flight home..thanks for the treat yesterday --/inunahan mo kami/---
and hope you log-in soon..)
i know we have said and agreed before, and therefore no need to repeat - that it was a totally successful, unforgettable affair.
our common thoughts will now be centered on how to make forthcoming reunions to be even better. as they always say, no matter how good, there's always room for improvement..and no harm if we start thinking, conceptualizing as early as now.
cheers and warm regards,
To All my wonderful and great classmates,
I'm glad I'm finally back to SF after 2 extreme events during my visit. But first, my apology for the delay in this communique. To some of you from US, Canada, Norway, Manila, Naga and even Daet, who missed the event for one reason or another, I'm sure you're eager to hear all about the details of the Ruby Reunion.
Let me tell you first that I too was eager to relay the "happenings". Despite my exasperation and fatigue from the travels, I stayed up til wee hours right after I got in from the airport composing the message to send to you. Plus I also had to download the last few photos taken during my despedida at Mall of Asia, courtesy of the manila group. Unfortunately, after a lenghty letter and 5 photos and just right before I had to hit the "send button", my laptop acted up and I lost the file. I was so dissapointed and mad at myself! Toti, helppppp! kung malapit ka lang I could have used your expertise. Anyway, here I am again and hopefully no disaster will bar my effort.
Thank you guys for all the condolences, prayers, and the beautiful wreath you sent my way. No matter how much you think one is emotionally and psychologically prepared, it still hurts when the moment comes that you lose a loved one. But knowing that I had caring and compassionate friends around, it gave me strenght during my grief. Again, thanks to all who sent me text messages, emailed me and even called me on the phone. Even Marynat and Mona de Jesus L., who were absent during the reunion extended thier sympathy.My family says thank you too. What can I say, you guys are simply magnificent and great to belong!!!!
Here's my recap of the reunion:
Friday evening-a nice sumptuous reception was held at the Kusina ni Angel in Bagasbas. Lots of hellos, kumustahan, hagikhikan and pleasant surprises. For the first time since graduation, I met Bert P. along with his beautiful wife(Marie) and nephew Bruce. Lalong gumwapo si Bert with a true demeanor of a CEO; Alot remains gorgeous just a little healthier; Amelita Adem and Joe Marie Chavez, I almost didn't recognized them. Yung iba, I've seen them at some earlier times. I was psyched to stay up til AM but the night ended for the ladies at about 10pm. I think the guys wanted us to take a long beauty rest in preparation for the motorcade. Para daa it will not be too obvious na mga gurang na ang maparada!
Saturday started with the motorcade from Gahonon to DPS and then to Louie's Canteen. The participating vehicles were decked with balloons but due to the hot weather, they all burst even before the parade terminated. They made sure there were police escorts. Baka daa sabihon na ang mga gurang na ini nagwawarala sa tinampo! The "getting to know you more" continued during lunch and had brief brainstorming for a possible tangible project for the group. I don't think we came up with anything definite, right Rudy and Toti? After lunch, we unanimously agreed to visit Ms. Lunario (nee Sequi) instead of doing it on Sunday. Ms. Lunario was quite surprised with the visit. Except for being freshly manicured and pedicured, she said she was not ready and was quite embarrassed. We all reassured her that it didn't matter to us. Rudy was very proud to introduce her to his wife, Evelyn and son,Ryan. Btw, Rudy, your family are good looking and good sports. He said she made a significant difference in his direction and his life overall. After about 3 hrs. of respite, we reconvened at the parish church of Fr. Efren for the mass. His homily was so appropriate. he gently reminded us that we had alot to be thankful for-one, that we had this wonderful gathering after 40 years of being estranged at one time or another. Then we had the Socials at MT 2. The combination of the nice camaraderie, the food, the video presentation, the sharing, the music, the dancing and the group singing filled the room and joy ( tears sometimes) exudes in everyone. Toti, your video presentation was fantastic! I'm sure you had put in tons of hours putting them together. You''re the man! Gifts were ptresented to Ms. Segui and Zano, our former teachers. It was a nice surprise knowing that Annabelle and Tess C. are into ballroom dancing just like I enjoy it much. Some of the guys commentetd that kaito daa, dai maranihan o madutdutan ining mga girls na ini. Pero now, mga nagpapakarga pa sa mga DI's. By the way, thanks Annabelle for arranging the DI's. I must have lost several pounds shaking those booties! The band c/o Yoly played nostalgic music of the 60's and 70's. We all wanted to stay much longer but the management declined despite Mendy's willingness to pay more. Too bad!
Sunday-we gathered at Dorset's place in BAgasbas for lunch. Everyone got overwhelmed with the superb gustatory delights that were contributed by our generous classmates. As you notice, no one thought of taking pictures. But the crabs, the lechon, sugpo, pinangat, angko, salmon and etc were just super-delicious! Thanks to Dorset, Manny, Remo, Alot, Mendy, Joe Marie, Yoly and others who put his luncheon together. Talagang walang sawang tsibogan and chikahan. In fact, Rory forgot that he had to watch his diet! It was kinda getting sad towards the end as each one is heading back to their home places.In fact, Boboy had to leave early. May meeting daw-(hindi kaya mating?) It was an endless goodbyes. A few of us left in Daet (Annabelle, Yoly, Mila, Emily and myself)proceeded to Melit's little resort in Laniton where we enjoyed a brief boat ride and merienda sa gitna ng ilog. We were not really ready to call it quits, later on we proceeded to our house for wine, dinner and karaoke. It was almost 10pm when we ended.
The entire weekend was fabulous! It was well worth my trip. The fun, laughters and the giggles were constant. To those who were absent, you have missed a lot-another special chapter in our lives. So better plan for the next one now! It will be on Feb. 7-8, 2009. US-based classmates, pls take note. No more excuses. Assignment ko kayo, so we better make good at the next.
To all the core group who made this event possible and very successful, saludo ako! Special kudos goes to Mendy, Susan, Yoly, Boboy, Toti( our very dedicated techno wiz), Alot, Ed and sorry po if I forgot to mention someone.
Oh by the way, I felt dissapointed not seeing Ed C. and Baby/Nemia B. at the reunion. But Baby, you made up for it by showing up at the merienda last Sunday. Sooo happy to see you again. You are still gorgeous!
For those kindhearted who joined us for merienda in Manila- I enjoyed the get together up to the last minute. Thanks to Alot, Yoly, Baby, Tess and son, Lina and daughter, Rory, Bert and MArie, Toti (sorry Toti you had to work on the CD's under time pressure)and Evelyn (Rudy's wife).
I think this message is getting too long and before my pc crashes on me again, I better sign off. I'll send the photos of the Manila despedida at next mail.
Men, Marybeth, Herminia and Violeta, may padala si Alot and Tess C. sa inyo. I also have the CDs of the reunion.I'll mail it asap or if you guys are heading my way, I'll be glad to see you and hand it to you.
Bert- you continue to impress me with your editorial prowess. Galing talaga! I loved your last message addressing class personalities and highlights. Wow!!!!
Let us all continue this wonderful camaraderie and connections as we age. I look forward to hearing from you always and I'll do the same. We are the envy of lots of Parochialites or LCC alumni because we often have reunions. Let's even get them more jealous in 2 years with greater participation and attendance.
Hugs and kisses,
Here's some photos attached. Pardon the titles.
Toti-can you revise it to just say DPS '67 pics?